Psychiatric Home Care Services
Genesis’s Psychiatric Home Care offers collaborative, comprehensive psychiatric nursing services to patients in their homes. These services are provided by experienced psychiatric nurses and are designed to:
- Prevent hospitalizations
- Increase access to mental health services
- Provide follow-up treatment
- Assist families in maintaining community living and improving their quality of life
Psychiatric nurses work with your primary care physician and/or psychiatrist in planning care and also work closely with other care team members or involved community providers.
Who May Benefit?
Those who are most likely to benefit from Genesis’s Psychiatric Home Care services are individuals who have one or more of the following conditions:
- Serious and persistent mental illness as well as risk for repeated hospitalizations
- A first psychotic episode with a high risk of nonadherence
- Exacerbations of chronic schizophrenia and/or affective disorders, including major depression
- A history of medication nonadherence
- A recent release from hospital care and need of follow-up to prevent relapse
- A need for monitoring of a new psychotropic medication
- Concomitant medical and psychological problems
- Behavioral or emotional problems associated with physical illness
- Alzheimer’s Disease and other types of dementia
- Confusion following surgery, strokes, cancer treatment, or related to medications
- Chronic pain and related depression
- Alcohol and other drug abuse and/or dependence
- Anxiety and/or panic attacks
- Somatization disorders
- Character/personality disorders experiencing a crisis
- Paranoia disorders
- Suicidal ideation
- Families/caregivers in need of psychosocial support and education
Psychological Homecare Services Offered:
Services are based on a comprehensive physical, psychological, mental, cognitive, family and environmental assessment of the patient/client within the context of his/her home. Interventions are provided by licensed, certified, clinical nurse specialists or by nurses with significant experience in psychiatric nursing. Genesis’s psychiatric home services include the following:
- Psychiatric nursing consultations and evaluations
- Psycho-educational approaches with individual, family and groups directed toward increasing the patient’s level of knowledge and control over his/her illness, and enhancing coping skills through:
- Symptom and Illness Management
- Medication Teaching
- Coping Skills
- Communication Skills
- Medication Administration monitoring and management
- Venipuncture and monitoring of blood levels of psychotropic medication
- Post hospitalization follow-up to assist in bridging the patient’s transition from hospital to community
- Identification, coordination, and mobilization of the supports needed to maintain the client in the community
- Therapeutic Interventions, including: Psychosocial
- Supportive Therapy
- Counseling – Individual and Family
- Relaxation Techniques
- Life Review
- Clinical Case Management
- Psychotherapy Interventions, including:
- Brief Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Crisis Intervention
- Caregiver support and education
- Assessment for Services
Although each individual is screened according to his/her need for care, some typical criteria to consider in making a psychiatric home health referral are:
- Does the individual have a psychiatric diagnosis?
- Is the individual under the care of a physician?
- Is the individual homebound?
- Does the individual require the skills of a registered nurse?
- Can care be safely provided in the home?